Prince Mahidol Award Youth Program (PMA Youth Program) aims to inspire and to facilitate Thai youths studies in the health fields to pursuit dedicated life for the benefit of mankind following the footsteps of HRH Prince Mahidol of Songkla for his exemplary contributions to the advancement of medicine, public health, and human services.
The main objectives are
1. To honor His Royal Highness Prince Mahidol of Songkla, the Royal Father of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej and the Father of Modern Medicine and Public Health of Thailand.
2. To inspire youths to dedicate their lives to improve the health of mankind.
3. To provide a professional and personal development opportunities for the new generation/young scientists in the field of medicine and public health.
4. To promote the collaboration of Thai medical and health community with international institutes.
5. To support the globalization of Thailand’s Medical Education at the undergraduate level.
Opportunities of Youth Program Scholars
1. One year training / studying in prestigious institution abroad / access to specialized areas of medicine, public health and health care system
2. Lifetime mentoring from both overseas and local exemplars with strong support from the working committee.
3. Learning / sharing in PMA Youth Conference
4. Joining PMA Conference and interacting with PMA Laureates, health authorities both in technical and policy expertise
5. Assist and participate in other activities of PMA
Qualifications of Applicants
1. Studying in 5th year of medical school from all Faculties of Medicine in Thailand. For the other paramedical fields such as physicians, nurses, basic science will also be extended to them in the future.
2. Selected by the institutes. Not more than three applicant(s) can be submitted from each Faculty of Medicine.
3. Must have at least a score of 79 on the TOEFL (Internet -Based Test) or IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, not more than two years before the date of application.
4. Applicants can choose the most interesting institute themselves or from the list which will be available before application starting date
(1) Application forms are available at www.princemahidolaward.org, the PMA Youth Program Office, Office of Deputy Dean for Academic Affairs, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University and all the 17 Medical institutes participating in the program.
(2) Application forms should be submitted to the head of their educational institutes for the initial selection process beginning from November 1st of each application year.
Apply to the PMA Youth Program Office through your educational institute during November 1st of each year. The application form should include the proposed project, goals, and also explanation on how the international placement will benefit you and Thailand upon your return to Thailand.
1. Not more than three selected candidate(s) of each institute is submitted to PMA Youth Program Office with the application document, evaluation results, and research project to be conducted during and after the applicant’s studies by 15 January of the application year.
2. The selection committee selects the not more than 5 scholars from all the applicants during February-April and proposes the names to the working committee by May of each application year.
3. Successful applicant(s) must meet the following criteria:
– Must be hardworking, well-behaved, talented, imaginative, and ethical.
– Have good understanding of Thailand’s problems and wish to solve these problems.
– Want to further develop their existing knowledge obtained in Thailand in that field, and feel the need to obtain meaningful work experience abroad which will help to further develop their country.
– Willing to be evaluated 360 degree in all aspects
4. The working committee will report the selected scholars based on the results of their application documents, review, interview or other appropriate procedures decided by the selection committee to the steering committee. Final decision for the scholarship recipients is made by the Board of Trustee, Prince Mahidol Award Foundation not later than May/June of each application year.
5. Successful applicant(s) are informed in June and assigned to the host international institute within April next year.
Study and research abroad
The working committee will support and provide an opportunity to study/research/train in the host international institute.
The PMA Youth Program working committee will collaborate with the host institute to play a vital role in providing advice and monitoring throughout the placement.
Successful applicant commitment
Young people interested in being involved in this program must be willing and able to commit to 12 month placement overseas and necessary preparation and evaluation time. Successful applicant(s) have to send the progress report to the host institute and the working committee every 6 months and after the project is completed.
The PMA Youth Program commits to providing the scholar(s) with the following:
1. A study placement that, as best as possible, capitalizes on skills and interests of scholar
2. Budget travel costs and arrangements to overseas placement, and return to Thailand at the end of 12 month placement
3. A monthly living stipend
4. Thai helper team for troubles shooting
Upon return to Thailand
The scholarship recipient shall prepare a summary report on the study/research/training for submission to their educational institute, the host institute and PMA Youth Program Office. In addition, the recipient shall present their impressions and research work during their stay abroad to the PMA Youth Conference.
The scholars shall behave in a manner which is beneficial to their educational institutes and the medical community according to their proposed projects.
► To download a form, please click on PMA Youth Program application form 2010
PMA Youth Program Secretariat,
Office of Deputy Dean for Academic Affairs
Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University
2 Prannok Road, Bangkoknoi, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Phone: +662-419-7680-1 Fax: +662-419-7679
Associate Professor Dr. Angkana Chaiprasert E-mail [email protected]